"Three Village Strong" Face Mask featuring the historic whaling ship Daisy
About this campaign
The ship on the Three Village Historical Society logo has been a familiar sight locally for more than half a century. Originally designed by Captain Edward R. Rhodes, TVHS President from 1964-1970. Captain Rhodes primary interest was the nautical history of the Three Villages. In 1965, he initiated the program of marking homes of ship captains and ship builders with plaques featuring the Society’s logo. It is a representation of the 439 ton whaling ship Daisy, which was built at Nehemiah Hand's shipyard along Shore Road in East Setauket in 1871-72.
Nehemiah was among the elite of the shipbuilders along Setauket Harbor. His story includes a tale of intrigue involving attempts to own part of the Long Island Railroad Line, surreptitiously renaming a road after himself (which prompted an article in The New York Times on September 11, 1894), and his attempt to indict his neighbors in a Grand Jury lawsuit.
The Daisy, with naturalist Robert Cushman Murphy aboard, sailed on a whaling expedition to the Antarctic in 1912-13. The story of his experiences was recorded by Murphy in his book, Logbook for Grace. In 1916, while carrying a cargo of beans, the Daisy sprung a leak. The sea water swelled the beans which burst her hull and sank her.